This jewelry lesson with detailed instruction and easy to follow step by step pictorials will show you:
- - Making bezels from metal strips
- - Sizing bezels
- - Shaping under side for rings
- - Soldering bottom j-rings in
- This tutorial can be made in a standard smithing workshop. You will need:
- - Metal : silver or gold or other
- - Irregular shaped stones
Making bezels for irregular gemstone or object shapes presents a few challenges. It is very important to make free-form bezels accurately and finish it off neatly, as this is an indication of well made jewelry.
In this lesson particular focus will be on showing how to achieve a precision fit and size the bezel correctly. Soldering the seating j-ring in needs flame control particularly when dealing with height variations in a bezel. Here are examples of the different types of stones or shells, all with odd shapes, for which bezels were made.
Top and bottom finishes of bezels for irregular stone shapes.